Grandma's Savory Bread Stuffing
Let's Get Started ...
(1) lb Mild Breakfast Sausage (Chicken, Turkey or Pork)
(1) T Oil ( Avocado, Olive, or Clarified Butter (ghee) which I prefer)
(8) T Butter (1 stick)
Wash and prep the vegetables. Set aside.
(1½) C Chopped Carrot (appx. 2 med. Carrots)
(2) C Chopped Onion (appx. 2 med. Onions)
(2) C Chopped Celery (appx. 4 med. Celery stalks)
(2) C Dehydrated Mushroom (**appx. 28g)
Please note: Fresh mushrooms create too much moisture in the recipe, which is
important to understand when you’re baking with gluten free bread cubes.
** Depending on the mushroom this is hard to measure. You are looking for about 2 cups. I use mini portabella mushrooms just because they are my favorite. I thinly slice and dry them in my oven for a couple of hours at 200º. You could also Google dehydrating mushrooms.
Measure the following spices into a small bowl and mix well. Set aside
(1) tsp Onion Powder
(½) tsp Coriander
(½) tsp Salt (I use Pink Himalayan)
(½) tsp Garlic Powder
(¼) tsp Sage
(2) C Chicken Broth
(5-6) C Un-seasoned GF toasted Bread Cubes. One regular sized loaf of our awesome gluten free sourdough bread will yield about 5 to 6 cups.
Making bread cubes for stuffing: Cut your bread into cubes appx. ¾” to 1”. Place fresh bread cubes on a sheet pan (use parchment paper) and toast at 350º until the bread is completely and thoroughly toasted. 20 to 30 minutes.
(we’re talking hard-as-a-rock)
- Choose a 2 quart baking dish and grease really well. I like to use a deep 2qt dish myself.
- Caramelize the Sausage: In a large heated pan add the 2T oil, add sausage. Break up the sausage or keep it chunky (your choice) but, caramelize it (Cook to a dark golden brown). This is why I prefer to use clarified butter (ghee). Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté carrots with butter and add the pre-measured spices for appx. 4-5 minutes. Turn heat off, add onions and celery. Mix well to coat thoroughly with butter. If you use pork sausage, go easy on the butter.
- Add the sausage back in and mix well. Time to add bread cubes and mix well to thoroughly coat with butter.
- Don’t forget the mushrooms, mix in well and you’re almost done.
- Put all the stuffing mix into your well greased baking dish. Press stuffing into the dish. *Stop now, see note below.
- Beat eggs thoroughly and mix with 2 cups of chicken broth. Pour evenly over your stuffing. I always like a little bit of the stuffing not covered with the chicken broth. The top then comes out of the oven nice and crunchie (my favorite part).
Preheat oven to 350º, Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes to complete the magic. Enjoy!
*If you’re not ready to bake immediately, set aside and DO NOT add the chicken broth and egg mixture. Only add broth mixture when you’re ready to bake. It’s perfectly ok to sit in a cool place for several hours before you bake it. Total bake time is approximately 45 to 55 minutes